Car Free Day 2020!
Car Free Day 2020!
22 September 2020
This Car Free Day will be a little different and will involve a two-week virtual campaign to celebrate London as a walkable and cycleable City. Get involved and share your journey using #MyCarFreeTrip
Last year saw London’s biggest ever Car Free Day celebrations. Giving thousands of Londoners and visitors the opportunity to ‘reclaim’ their streets in a car-free environment. This Car Free Day will be a little different and will involve a two-week virtual campaign to celebrate London as a walkable and cycleable City. This will be in line with other cities around the world that are working towards a green recovery from COVID-19.
So this Car Free Day we’re encouraging everyone to walk or cycle part of a Journey. Both these modes are healthy, better for our air quality and can improve your mental wellbeing.
With many of us stepping outside to get a break from working from home, or returning to work and school – have you thought about walking or cycling all or part of your journey?
Get walking this Car Free Day!
It’s fun, free and one of the easiest ways to get active according to the NHS.
- The City of London offers a number of self-guided walks and trails for you to discover at your own pace. From majestic trees to modern architectural icons itinerates you won’t be lacking in inspiration!
- Relax and soak up the sun in one of the many hidden gardens.
- Footways walking map connects train stations with popular destinations and green spaces, by quiet & accessible streets across.
- From the suburbs to the City - join the City of London Guides on tours from designated hubs in Hackney, Islington, Camden, Southwark, Lambeth, Westminster and Tower Hamlets, taking lesser-trodden paths into the City.
There’s never been a better time to cycle!
If you work, study or live in City of London you can access to some great services.
Did you know?
- On Wednesday 23 September, between 8am and noon there will be a cycle safety event hosted by Sir Robert McAlpine and City of London Police on Moor Lane. Bring along your cycles for a free bike check and security marking (antitheft).
- You can get free 1-1 cycle skills training with expert instructors. So whether you are a first-time rider or a regular cyclist looking to improve your confidence at complex junctions or in heavy traffic. Your instructor will tailor the session to suit your abilities and goals. You can book your free training online or call 020 3031 6730.
- You can get a 24-hour access code for Santander Cycles, with all 30-minute journeys included when you complete TfL’s online cycle course.
- There is a Collect and Return cycle check service for Square Mile workers and residents. Bike mechanics will collect your cycle from any location in the Square Mile and return it after the service. Slots are bookable Monday-Saturday and Havebike will contact you should any repairs need.
If you are planning to visit the Square Mile we recommend that you look at the welcome back to the City page. It has some good tips and information, from journey planning to Frequently Asked Questions.
However you do it, share your journeys using #MyCarFreeTrip for and you will have a chance to win.
Find out more at Reimagine your City car-free.
Also don't forget that the 22 September is also City Giving Day and will be celebrated virtually too and you can engage with the spirit of the day by wearing red #GoRed in recognition of the Lord Mayors Appeal.